FDI is seen as
- A broadly used device integration technology for process automation which reduces cost for end users, integrators, manufacturers and device and system vendors.
- An established and acknowledged worldwide standard.
- The leading open and interoperable technology for engineering, management and life cycle support of installed assets in Process Automation industries.
Manufacturer companies and involved foundations want to:
- Promote and provide high quality technology support for FDI, independent of and common for the respective communication protocols.
- Preserve end users’ and automation manufacturers’ investments by providing state-of-the-art technology that is fully backward compatible.
- Establish a stable FDI-specification and ensure interoperability and compatibility.